Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a cub cadet lt1042 19 hp engine. sometimes it will

Customer Question

Customer: My name is***** have a cub cadet lt1042 19 hp engine. sometimes it will turn over and start. other times will not turn over at all. what could be causing this problem
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i can turn the key to start and it will. other times i can turn the key to start and nothing happens. i have installed a new battery but i am having the same problem still
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Small Engine Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Seat switch or the brake switch are two items that can keep the starter from engaging. Or a bad key switch. Do you have a voltmeter or test light to see if there is battery voltage to the starter solenoid when key is turned to start?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

If there is battery voltage going to the switch terminal on the starter solenoid, the solenoid may be bad. It is what has to engage the starter.