Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a cub cadet lt1042 19 hp engine. sometimes it will

Customer Question

Customer: My name is***** have a cub cadet lt1042 19 hp engine. sometimes it will turn over and start. other times will not turn over at all. what could be causing this problem
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i can turn the key to start and it will. other times i can turn the key to start and nothing happens. i have installed a new battery but i am having the same problem still
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Small Engine Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 months ago.

Seat switch or the brake switch are two items that can keep the starter from engaging. Or a bad key switch. Do you have a voltmeter or test light to see if there is battery voltage to the starter solenoid when key is turned to start?

If there is battery voltage going to the switch terminal on the starter solenoid, the solenoid may be bad. It is what has to engage the starter.