Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My ***** ***** bilt 2410 snowblower will start but won't run

Customer Question

Customer: My ***** ***** bilt 2410 snowblower will start but won't run unless fully choked and won't rev even when it has run long enough to warm up. Suspect bad gas in the carburetor, but can't readily see the best way to get the carb off.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Didn't use it much last year, but started it at the end of the year and put fuel stabilizer in it. Also started and ran it in August and it was fine then.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Small Engine Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: OK, but I'll keep searching while I wait.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Vince O. replied 11 months ago.

Hello, can you supply the model and serial numbers from the sticker so I can identify your machine and engine.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Mod 31AM62N2711 Ser 1F059B76365

The best I can do is send you the shop manual for the engine. It can explain better than I could and has pictures to help. It's the 752Z265-SUA 179cc engine. Tis manual covers several, try to identify yours.http://1drv.ms/1vHirwB

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have the carburetor out and torn down. Everything looks pretty good except the fuel metering orifice in the metering plug appears to be plugged (reference page 34 in the manual). I have some very small drills. Any idea what the diameter of the orifice is? I've sprayed it with carburetor cleaner, but it is plugged tight.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Actually, I can't see any evidence that there was ever an orifice there. It looks like a plug, but recessed on both sides so you have to try to look into the bottom of a little hole.

I wouldn't use a drill bit. Try a wire (bared bread twister). Unscrew the main jet and shake or push out the nozzle and poke each hole.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I think we're talking about two different things. I've pulled the main jet and the emulsion tube (nozzle). They are both clean, no sign of obstruction in any of the holes. The problem I have is with the fuel metering orifice. It is part of a plastic plug that sits on the top of the carburetor. The plug is held in place by the idle screw. According to the manual (page 34) fuel is supposed to flow through this orifice, but it looks to me like there is no orifice in the plug I have. I don't know if this is any help, but the orifice has "33" stamped on it.

You need a very fine wire to insert in it. Also, there should be a thin o ring on it too.Insert the carb cleaner nozzle through the opening left side of choke to be sure it comes out into the "Pilot Jet" cavity and then down the center of the cavity so it squirts into the nozzle area.

Here is a diagram from a Honda engine that the Other manufacturers copied from. See pilot jet in top right corner.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for the drawing. I'm talking about the pilot jet. The carburetor body is clear, I can spray carb cleaner on the left side of the choke, and it comes out where the pilot jet sits. I can spray cleaner on the other side of the pilot jet and it comes out next to the throttle. I can also spray down into the well where the main jet and the emulsion tube sit. The whole carburetor is clean and showed no sign of varnish, corrosion, or any debris. But the pilot jet is not open. I've got a number 80 drill bit in a pin vice that I'm using to probe the the pilot jet and I can't see or feel any orifice in it. I let the pilot jet soak in carb cleaner overnight, so I am mystified. I can see how the carburetor is supposed to work, but I am really confused by this pilot jet. How small could the hole be for an engine this size?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The wire from a bread twist tie is .0145", the same as a #79 drill. So the #80 I've been using is finer than that. The smallest wire in my acetylene tip cleaning set is about that same size as well. But nothing, not the drill, or the bread wire, or the tip cleaner can find a hole in the pilot jet. When I scratch it I just see shiny brass all across the bottom. I don't think this pilot jet ever had a hole in it. Maybe they decided they didn't need it because the engine is designed to run wide open all the time?

There is a hole on the bottom and a very fine wire would be needed. Try a can of carb cleaner that has a nozzle and place the cleaner nozzle on the tip.I had a friend give me some surgical wire that fits.