Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

Xxxxxxx i have a Deere HPX gator with a kawasaki

Customer Question

Hi doug my name is ***** ***** i have a John Deere HPX gator with a kawasaki Fd620d363608 engine that will not start it ran fine yesterday. Fuel pump is running and i have fuel at the carburetor i tried to check for spark with no luck, would you recomend getting a spark tester first to verify that i do indeed have spark and then go from there. Is the ignition system made up of the two coils one on each cylinder only or is there an additional ignition module and if there is one where would it be located and how can i check if it is good?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Hello Andy. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. It is always good to use a spark tester, to test your spark, just to be sure. I can give you a list of the parts that make up your ignition system. Please take a look at the link attached below.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

You have an Igniter, which is your Ignition Control Unit, and you have Pick Up Coils, as well as your Ignition Coils. If you have a multimeter, Kawasaki give the specs. for testing these parts.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

I would begin troubleshooting by first confirming whether or not you are getting spark to your spark plugs, using a spark tester. If you are actually not getting spark to your spark plugs, remove your kill wire, and check again. If you still are not getting spark, then I would the ignition parts individually. I will attach a link to a free service manual for you to use.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

After your manual finish downloading, scroll to Section 7 Electrical System.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Then scroll to Page 7-13 ...

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

If you have some carburetor cleaner in a can, spray a small burst directly into your carburetor, to see if your engine will start up briefly. If it does, then you are getting spark to your spark plug. We can continue from here. Thanks!