Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I need the diagram to replace the drive belt on the x304

Customer Question

Hi. I need the diagram to replace the drive belt on the x304 John deer tractor. Thank you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 12 months ago.

Hello James. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 12 months ago.

I will pull up a belt routing diagram for you.

Expert:  Donald replied 12 months ago.

Please click on the link below, to open the image.

Expert:  Donald replied 12 months ago.

Put your belt on your transmission and engine pulleys first.

Expert:  Donald replied 12 months ago.

Depress your brake pedal, and lock your parking brake. Next, put your belt on your two idler pulleys. Keep in mind that the flat side of your belt goes on your flat idler pulley, and the v side of your belt, will go on your v-idler pulley. Release your parking brake afterwards, to make sure your belt tightens properly.

Expert:  Donald replied 12 months ago.

We can continue from here. Thanks!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Are you sure this is the diagram for the x304? Nothing seems to line up without the belt rubbing on the frame.
Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for your reply.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Click on the link above. It will open to a parts diagram for X304 mowers, and shows a belt diagram.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Does your mower have two idler pulleys?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Is one of them flat, and the other V?

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

These are only troubleshooting questions ...

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Did the link open for you?

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Good morning James. This is just a follow up, to see if you got your belt put on. If not, we can continue. Thanks!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No I still can not figure this out. Are there any written instructions. When looking at the diagram, is it as though you are looking up at the tractor from underneath, or does it need to be reversed? I hope you know what I mean. Thanks
Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

I am away from my computer. I am replying via my mobile phone. I will not be back at my computer until 4:30 pm central time today. When I am back at my computer, I can draw a clear diagram for you.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Did you lock your parking brake, then put your belt on your transmission and engine pulleys first? Keep in mind that the flat side of your belt goes on your flat idler, and the v side of your belt, fits into your v-idler pulley.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

The diagram l posted, is like viewing your belt from the top, if you are standing, looking down at your belt.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

If you can give me a few minutes, I will try to draw and post a diagram from my phone.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

James, thanks for your patience. Take a look at the image below. Let's see if it helps.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

I drew it to show you how your belt actually goes around your idler pulleys. The right side of your belt goes directly from your transmission pulley, to your engine pulley. The left side of your belt, goes from your transmission pulley, then around your v-idler, then around your flat idler, then around your engine pulley.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

The reason for locking your parking brake, is to allow your belt to remain loose, as you are putting it onto each of your pulleys.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Please let me know if this made any difference for you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi, I must admit it has not helped. For some reason the belt is rubbing against the frame. But I thank you for the diagram.
Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

You are very welcome!

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Have you removed your deck from your mower?

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

If not, you will get a better view, without your deck in place.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

What happened to your original belt? Did it break?