Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Im ***** *****, and I've just successfully wired the battery

Customer Question

Customer: hi, Im ***** *****, and I've just successfully wired the battery on my westwood v20/50 in the wrong way round - am wondering whats cooked
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: sure, had to remove battery to access the steering rack to make a repair - in my joy of fixing the steering i didnt pay enough attention putting the battery back in, sat in seat , turned ignitiion and heard slight fizzing and pop - realised battery wired wrong - found 2 blown fuses and replaced so deck switch and lights now working but no go on the starter - am thinking I've blown the relay and starter motor maybe
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Small Engine Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I'll come back a bit later
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

What is the full model number? Do you have a voltmeter to test with?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

See if you can jump the stater solenoid, where the positive battery cable attaches, to the small switch post on the same solenoid, ad see if engine spins This is quick test of battery, cables, solenoid and starter.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

There may be a relay between keyswitch and the starter solenoid, that has been damaged by the battery being backward. Bu I need to find correct model to find the diagram.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Did you find the problem?