Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

J.R. we have just inherited an Ariens RocketVII 7 hp tiller

Customer Question

Customer: Hi J.R. we have just inherited an Ariens RocketVII 7 hp tiller model number 901006. Just wondering if you had any ideas why we are unable to get it to fire? It has a new spark plug & is throwing a strong, bright spark. The Carby bowl is filling with fuel-we have drained out the old fuel & replaced it with fresh. The float is moving up & down smoothly. We have noticed that the spark plug does not seem to be getting damp with fuel despite many unsuccessful attempted pull starts, as if the fuel is not getting from the carby to the combustion chamber. Thanks mate for any help you are able to give.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sorry, for got to mention my name, it's Ian. As for further details, thats about all I can think of - we have tried "AeroStart" with no success. The engine seems to have good compression & by taking off the carby, we can see the inlet & exhaust valves opening/closing. Thanks
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Small Engine Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 12 months ago.

Remove the spark plug, and pit a teaspoon of fuel direct into the cylinder, then re-install the spark plug, and see if it will fire for a few seconds. If it does, the carburetor main jet passage, the center post of the carburetor is plugged!