Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

This is the 3rd time I have tried this and it won't let me

Customer Question

This is the 3rd time I have tried this and it won't let me edit a question before I send it.
Any way I have a Honda generator em5000s that has no output.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. Did this problem occur suddenly, or gradually, over a period of time?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It has been setting idle for about 6 yrs. I have the engine running but have no output.
Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Terry, many times when this problem occurs, you can flash your generator, and your output will resume. The procedure is called field flashing. This procedure is fairly simply. Do you have an electric corded drill?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have power tpols. I have already flashed the field.
Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

This did not work for you?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If it worked I wouldn't be talking right now. When I flashed the field I removed the wires from the brushes and connected a 12 volt battery to the brushes, removed the wires, connected them back and restarted the generator. Still no output
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do I flash the field with it running or stoped
Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Terry, due to the fact that I cannot physically see or hear your generator, I ask troubleshooting questions. When I asked about the procedure above, I was only confirming that it did not make a different in your generators output, before moving to the next troubleshooting step. If you use a drill, you field flash with your engine running.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

I would try it again, using a drill, just to be sure.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What does a drill have to do with flashing???If I am hearing you right I plug the drill into the generator. Remove the wires from the brushes, connect a set of leads to the brushes and connect it to a 12 volt battery for a few seconds, and see if I have output. If I do remove the wires from the brushes and reconnect them to th proper leads after I have shut it down???
Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Terry, I can explain the procedure.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

I will attach a link to a video, that shows the procedure.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

If the procedure using the drill does not work, then we can work again with the method you used, using your 12 volt battery.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

You will start your engine as usual, when using the electric drill method.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

This next video shows the method you used, using your 12 volt battery.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Are you still with me? I just want to make sure your generator was correctly field flashed, before moving to the next troubleshooting checkpoint.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have used the drill per the video and flashed the field per the video 6 times now. What's next
Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for checking. I would like to ask you? When you were trying the method with your battery, did you apply the voltage while your engine was running?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No I did not. The video did not say to do that
Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Did you watch the second video? The second video has a generator exactly like yours.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That is correct and it does not flash the field with the generator running. Should I do it with the generator running???
Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Yes, you should do it with your generator running. Make sure you have your polarity correct. Positive to Positive, and Negative to Negative.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Wait one, I will go try it.
Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

I don't mind waiting. Just do it just link in the Honda EM5000S video. Please be careful.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I Have done that. When the battery was connected to the brushes the voltage came up to 90 volts on the meter at 120 and 150 on the 240 volt side. I shut it down and reconnected and still no output.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
when the battery was connected the generator idled down, when battery was disconnected it came back up to full speed
Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for checking.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

The next step will be to check your capacitor.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I didn't see one where is it
Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

You mentioned brushes. I do apologize, you do not have a capacitor.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

You have an AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulator)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That is true. How do I check it with an ohm meter, or can I??
Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

I do not have a schematic or diagram for Honda generators. I rather not guess. I rather opt out, and let's see if one of the other gentlemen have Honda specs.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Field Flashing basically work the same for most generators.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Terry, would you like for me to opt out, to give another expert an opportunity to work with you?