Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a 20 hp &s and will not idle smooth .I replaced the

Customer Question

I have a 20 hp b&s and will not idle smooth .I replaced the float cylnoid and it still runs up and down rpm.It runs high speed ok
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 12 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 12 months ago.

Your carburetor is surging at idle speeds, due to your carburetor starving for fuel. You have a clogged jet, or fuel passage, inside the body of your carburetor.

Expert:  Donald replied 12 months ago.

You will need to give your carburetor a really good cleaning.

Expert:  Donald replied 12 months ago.

There is a fuel additive called Mechanic In A Bottle that works really well, and is designed to clean your carburetor, without you having to remove it. I suggest that you give it a try first, to see if it works for you.

Expert:  Donald replied 12 months ago.

You can purchase a bottle at Sears, Home Depot, Tractor Supply, etc. It is very inexpensive. It is worth a try. We can continue from here. Thanks!

Expert:  Donald replied 12 months ago.

If you choose to dis-assemble your carburetor, and clean it. You can use a small wire, and some carburetor cleaner in a can, to clean the small jets and fuel passages inside your carburetor. I recommend that you soak your carburetor, prior to cleaning it.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
using sea foam and high test fresh gas plus I sprayed the carb with carb cleaner next is to pull apart thanks
Expert:  Donald replied 12 months ago.

Bruce, you are very welcome! Just take your time and I do believe that a good cleaning will work just fine for you.