Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

Please help. I get no power to the left cylinder of my model

Customer Question

Please help.
I get no power to the left cylinder of my model xt140 ride on mower when both the left and right coil wires are connected
Power to the left hand cylinder is only restored if i disconnect the right hand coil cut out wire.
Please assist me in solving this problem
Thanking you
Ben Birk
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Hello Ben. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Ben, can you get the brand, and the model numbers for your engine for me please?

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

The wires from your ignition switch, to your coils, are designed to shut your engine off, when your key is turned to off position. These wires are your kill wires. Both of your kill wires have diodes, to prevent each of your coils, from grounding the other one out, as your engine is running.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

The reason you are experiencing a loss of power in your left cylinder, when both kill wires are connected, is because one of your kill wires have a faulty diode.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

You will need to test each diode, to determine which one is at fault. You can either replace the faulty diode, or replace the wiring harness for your ignition coils.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

We can continue from here. Thanks!