Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers
32407143

, fs 100 stihl starts wont rev if it is on choke all

Customer Question

Customer: hi ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: fs 100 stihl starts wont rev if it is on choke all the time check exhaust replaced carb check all fuel pips check vevle timing
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Small Engine Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Vince O. replied 12 months ago.

Hello, when you checked the valve timing did you check the gaps?

They have a special feeler gauge.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
hi vince
yes i did check gap there was very little free play on both 0.1 is the gap i found but not knowing what gap should be i left it a lone i was told off a stihl technicians that very little can be done with the fs 100 they suffered the same problem in passed and them in bin because of cost to repair . many thanks dave
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
or *********** between 8am and 6pm

Sorry, but I cannot call you.Do you have a feeler gauge in the shape of the picture I sent you? If not you will need to cut yours to the shape in the picture

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
ok i will do so and check . i am working out on site work today be back later i will do it then and send you the results many thanks dave

OK

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hi sorry just got back from a weekend away . i have check gap it is showing 0.1 . it will start and run if you try to rev it will rev up a little but to me it sounds if it still has choke on i know the choke is off with out the air filter it still runs if it is choke . the spark to the plug is good . compression is good . exhaust is clear not blocked . inlet is clear not blocked . i have tried a new carburetor it is just the same . i am scratching my head . many thanks dave
Expert:  Vince O. replied 11 months ago.

have you tried a new fuel filter? Did the old one come off the fuel line inside tank? Here is a copy of the spec page from shop manual. The valve gap should be 0.1 mm and not thousands

spec sheet

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
many thanks vince got the spec sheet already thanks . check most of spec's . fuel filter clear . if i get time this week i am going to strip engine down again and start from bottom up checking every part as i go . the customer has told me to scrap it but i am more interested as to what is causing this problem . many thanks dave

I have the shop manual if interested.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
many thanks vince . a friend of mine work's for still who brought me the manual for what he has said they have put it down to a number of parts being worn relating to cost . many thanks dave

You are welcome.