Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have an old craftsman II 5/23 that has not run in a number

Customer Question

I have an old craftsman II 5/23 that has not run in a number of years. I don't know the entire history but am told it was running back in the day. I have put fresh gas in it and it won't start. I pulled the plug and the valves are not stuck and I am getting spark. I did notice that I have gas pouring out of the primer button centre hole...do you know what might cause that?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 12 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 12 months ago.

Do you know if there was gas left inside your fuel tank, over the years, when your engine was not in use?

Expert:  Donald replied 12 months ago.

Your float is very likely sticking, and your fuel is flooding, and flowing through your primer button hole. The check valve for your primer likely sticking as well, due to your carburetor being out of use, over the years.

Expert:  Donald replied 12 months ago.

We can continue from here. Thanks!

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
do I need to pull the primer button or the carburetor?
Expert:  Donald replied 12 months ago.

I would pull the carburetor. Your carburetor will need to be cleaned thoroughly, and rebuilt, or replaced. Over the course of a few years, contaminated fuel will literally destroy a carburetor. first remove your fuel bowl. If you notice some white residue, it may be best to replace your carburetor.

Expert:  Donald replied 12 months ago.

We can continue from here. Thanks!

Expert:  Donald replied 12 months ago.

Hello Vaughn. This just a follow up, to see what your findings were. Thanks!