Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Echo PB 403T blower cranks but wont accelerate and then

Customer Question

Customer: Echo PB 403T blower cranks but wont accelerate and then dies. New gas/oil, new air filter, spark plug and fuel filter. No fuel leaks. No idea what is going on.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What more do you need?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Small Engine Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Not until later tonite. Thanks.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

When did it last run right? Is the primer bulb showing bubbles when you prime?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

How old is the unit? Fuel lines soft and not broken inside the fuel tank? The suction fuel line still have the weighted filter on it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It ran fine for about 20 minutes before it seemed to start bogging down. Thought it was probably about to run out of gas so I mixed some fresh oil/gas and put it in the blower. When I started it again it didn't seem to accelerate like normal. I used it for about 5 minutes and then it just decided to bog down and quit. Wouldn't start at that point.
A few days later I took off the spark arrestor to clean it. Got a tune up kit and installed new plug, new fuel filter and new air filter. Added some more fuel and pumped primer bulb. It is firm as usual when fuel is in the line. Blower started but doesn't want to accelerate as normal and will die if I don't keep triggering the accelerator.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Left spark arrestor off when I cranked it after installing the tune up kit so a clogged spark arrestor isn't the problem.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Take spark arrestor off again and look at the cylinder and piston . Or see if you can run a compression test.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would I be looking for? I did not take the muffler off, just the spark arrestor assembly that screws to the outside of the muffler.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Looking for a damaged piston and sleeve. Engine may have been trying to seize!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is still as easy to crank as always. Never run without proper oil/gas mixture. Fuel delivery seems to be the problem but I don't know how to confirm or rectify it that is the issue.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I can be a carburetor diaphragm, or a small bit of trash in carb. But I was thinking out of the box, and wanting t be sure that engine innards are not damaged

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It cranks right up but just wont stay running.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Is the carburetor one of the adjustable ones , with screws for high and low fuel mix?. Newer ones have no adjustments.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has idle, hi and lo. Why would it suddenly need to have settings changed. It has run fine for years with the current settings.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Can be trash under the high speed screw.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would I address that if is the cause? Do I need to pull the carb off and disassemble?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

That's the best way, but you could try adjusting the screws while engine is running.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll see what I can do with that tomorrow after Christmas Choir practice concludes. Any way to get back to you? Does small engine service for 18 a month include such as a Mercury 9.9 2 stroke outboard?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Sure, we have a boat section.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I circle back to you tomorrow afternoon?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Sure, I will be here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll leave this web page on my computer and see if I can reconnect tomorrow afternoon. Thanks.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you!