Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have an 11HP &S Generator engine, model 256412 type 0153

Customer Question

I have an 11HP B&S Generator engine, model 256412 type 0153 01, that is not running smooth. It is surging and may be running hot (lean?).
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is on a Homelite 5500 generator.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** you are still in need of assistance, I will be happy to assist you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you think? I have tried adjusting the mixture ....
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Mark, thanks for your response. I do believe that the surging is caused by your carburetor starving for fuel. You very likely have either a clogged jet, or fuel passage inside your carburetor body.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You will likely need to clean your carburetor, in order to resolve our problem.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

There is a fuel additive available that may work for you. I would give it a try first. If it does not work, then I would consider cleaning the carburetor.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

The fuel additive is called Mechanic In A Bottle.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Please click on the link above. A page will open, that will give you specific details relating to this product.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. That's what I thought. I tried squirting carb cleaner down the venturi while it was running to see if that would help. It seemed to help a little. What got me concerned is that while it was running I could see the muffle glow red a little. Not like bright red, but enough to see in the dark. It was dark out, but I don't remember seeing that. What do you think?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

All mufflers will glow enough to be noticed at night. I would consider this to be normal. Give the fuel additive a try first, and let's see if it resolves our problem. If not, you will need to do some more detailed cleaning.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You can purchase the product at Home Depot, or Tractor Supply. I have seen it at Sears also. In my area, it is $5.99 per bottle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Donald. You confirmed what I thought already. It's good to get a second opinion form an expert though. I'll try the stuff. I've heard of it but never actually used it. Thanks again and Merry Christmas !!!
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome! I hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas, as well. I do hope all goes well for you.