Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Replaced old gx engine with new gx630. no spark' whats up

Customer Question

replaced old gx engine with new gx630. no spark' whats up
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Were they both GX630 engines? What kind of machine is this on? Can you provide the spec and serial number from the engine? Some of these engines have and additional module that controls the spark, if the wiring is not hooked up to the coils it will not spark if equipped with this extra module. Is the ignition switch part of the engine or the machine that you installed it on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not sure on old engine but honda gx series , coils required nothing on old engine to spark and single wire to ground to cut off. new is gx630 gcbek-1065138 qdf2 . has 4 pin wire plug . only 1 in engine harness used on coil
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

This engine has a different ignition system than what the older Honda engines have. I do believe that it requires an wiring change as well as ignition switch change in order to make it work. I am going to have to double check with my Honda distributor to find out what you need in order to complete the installation of this engine and get it up and running. It will be morning before I can find out anything more but as soon as I have additional information I will post it here. I need to find out what wiring and switch they want you to use for this and if there is anything else that has to be changed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok , how do i get bak to you
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

We will continue our conversation here. As soon as I have more information I will come back here and post it.