JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a 2100 series generator briggs & stratton - the motor

Customer Question

I have a 2100 series generator briggs & stratton - the motor runs but no electric is being produced .
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Can you provide the model and serial numbers from the frame of the machine so that I can better assist you? Has the machine been sitting for a while with no use?

This could be a few different possible issues so I need your model information to better assist or answer your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi John
Model 030470
Serial(###) ###-####
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

If it has been a while(a year or longer) since this machine was used for power you may need to excite the charging coils in order to get the machine to work again. Otherwise, the most likely reason that you are not getting voltage is the regulator on the generator. It is part number 312038GS and can be purchased through a Briggs and Stratton authorized service center. This machine was made by Briggs therefore all of the parts that you would need can be purchased through a Briggs dealer. It looks like the regulator is around $35.00.

I am including a diagram for your information, it is reference number 33.

If you need further assistance feel free to continue our conversation. I hope that this information is helpful. Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I failed to get the diagram attached to prior comment. Here it is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks John - it is been in use daily and has 1300 hours on it , it is two years old - I will buy a regulator and see if it solves the problem
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

That is the most likely cause of your problem. Let me know if you need additional assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
John, I installed the regulator and it did solve the problem
Tom
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the update it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry John , I meant it did not solve the problem , any ideas ?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

You can try to excite the unit by using an electric non reversible drill. Plug the drill into one of the outlets, start the machine and with it running pull the trigger on the drill and manually spin the drill chuck backwards. It may take more than one attempt for this to work. Be careful though because if it does work the drill is going to start running.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried it multiple times, not working
Tom
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

As much as I hate to be the bearer of bad news, if it is not working after the new regulator and trying to excite it then the stator is not producing any voltage and would need to be replaced. Replacing the stator can be very costly, if may be better to look at a replacement machine. Cost of the stator is almost $300.00, by the time you paid shipping it would be over that unless you could find somewhere that offered free shipping. It is part number 312035GS.

It's uncommon to see the stator go bad like that but I have seen it happen a few times in the last couple of years.