JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have an old Atlas 5hp snowblower. I am looking

Customer Question

I have an old Atlas 5hp snowblower. I am looking for some instructions on replacing the clutch. I have a Max Torgue clutch I think will work but was hoping I could find a few instructions before I screw the whole thing up
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

This is fairly easy to do unless the old clutch has been on there forever.

1. First, you need to mark the location of the original clutch so that when you install the new one it is in the same location. This is important in order for proper alignment of the chain so that it doesn't throw it off or break it when running.
  2. Remove the bolt from the end of the crankshaft, if it has one. Some of the older machines do, and some don't.
  3. Remove or loosen the set screws(normally two) that are around the original clutch mount if equipped.
  4. Pull original clutch from the crankshaft(may require a gear or wheel puller).
  5. Install new clutch in reverse order and you should be ready to run.

I hope that this helps you to get your machine back up and running. Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your response. Feels like there is a spring holding up the removal of the clutch but I can't see behind the clutch well enough to determine what is going on. Any thoughts?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

There is nothing there that I am aware of other than possibly the set screws that I was referring too. Is the sprocket mounted to the outside or inside on your original clutch?