Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

1963Avanti with supercharger runs fine but will not return

Customer Question

1963Avanti with supercharger
runs fine but will not return to idle unless you tap the accelator. Choke is off and linkage is always at the stop screw when idling at 600or at 1200 rpm
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

The throttle plate in the carburetor may be loose on the throttle shaft and is hanging. Tapping the throttle lets it seat. The flap has to close tightly against the inner carb housing, or idle is affected. Usually the carburetor has to be removed and the throttle plate reset on the shaft so it closes better.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the response it will be several weeks before I can get at the car. I'll let you know the outcome
Thanks again Curtis
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I had an oversized carburetor on a small block Ford, and I had to work on the throttle flaps to get them to close, otherwise idle was way too high! It may not be the problem, but it will be related to the throttle valve!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the idea. Looking down through it looks kike it is closed but I won't know for sure until I remor tecarb. I have power steering problems since working that I need to solve requiring the engine to be running.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. let me know.