Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

Squall 2100 won't self Propel unless I put back pressure on

Customer Question

Squall 2100 won't self Propel unless I put back pressure on handle. Used to ptopel fine. Skid plate is adjusted correctly. Augers are turning
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer this should be your snowblower correct , here is a link to the parts diagram

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/troybilt-31a2m5e711-2012-squall-210-snowblower-parts-c-26780_173614_201723.html

Now which part are you having to put pressure on to get it to self propel ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning John,I have to push downward on the handle of the machine. Where you would normally put your hands. In the past, it would self propel with a gentle upward pressure on the same handle. It is the main handle attached to the machine, on the far left of the picture next to the auger engagement handle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is an auger assist machine.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ok , do you have the model number off of the unit ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not off the top of my head. I know it is the troybuilt
squall 2100
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ok , im trying to find a exploited diagram of the self propelled set up .

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

So to engage the self propel you would have to lift the handle lightly when working correctly right ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To engage the auger drive system you lift the handle in front of the main machine handle to engage the augers. You then lift lightly on the main handle to allow the augers to contact the pavement, assisting the machine forward while you push. This is not a self propelled system but an auger assist system. However now it does not move forward when you put upward pressure on the main handle. If however, you push down, as opposed to lifting up on the main handle, the augers touch the pavement and move the machine forward.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ok that gives me a clear idea , is the auger loose , have any up or down play in it ?

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Also are your auger blades metal? ,

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Some single stage blowers have rubber tips on the augers and they wear down

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will look for auger play. I don't know about the wear but have only had the machine for a couple of years to blow a 15 by*****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They paddles are rubber
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ok , there may be a way to adjust the auger down so the paddles make better contact but being rubber they do wear down .

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi were you able to check the auger to see if there was play in it ?

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi have you had a chance to check out that auger ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not had a chance to look at it as I have been out of town. I will respond tomorrow
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ok , let me know what you find

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi just wondering if you ever got to check out the auger on your snow blower ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No play in the auger at all
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ok with the machine off , if you get eye levell with the ground and look at the auger is it high up from the ground ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is not high off. probably 1/4 to 1/2 inch. I tried adjusting the skid plate but it did not bring it into contact (actuall reversed the skid plate it is double edged.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Do the rubber paddles look worn

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a little but not much, like I said earlier. It has only been used about 15 times on a very small driveway.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know how worn is considered worn. It looks like a good 4-5 inches remain on the paddles from the center hub
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

When you gently push up on the handle can you feel it get closer to the ground at all ?

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

I can try to see what the height is on a new one

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think i may have figured this out. There is play at the pivot point where the handle attaches to the machine. So when you pull up, it just pivots and does not actually tilt the machine down to for the paddles to make contact with the ground. When you push down, it bottoms out and causes the paddles to touch. Sound plausible?
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

It does , but ate the handle bolts loose etc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to look this weekend as it is usually dark when I get home. I am assuming that the are but I have to take the cover over to get to them to look.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ok , that would make sense if they loosened up , making play in the movement