Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

My mower starts and runs fine, but won't into gear, it seems

Customer Question

My mower starts and runs fine, but won't into gear, it seems like the transmission is not engaging, some times it will move but only very slowly, I'm wondering if it has something to do with the disengage lever?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. I may need to ask you some troubleshooting questions as we go.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Did this problem occur suddenly, or gradually, over a period of time? Have you recently removed one of your rear wheels?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Suddenly. after I mowed over thick grass the engine stalled so I pulled the lever to disengage so I could push the mower out of the grass and re start I push lever back in but then no movement
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for this information. I would like for you to check something, when you have an opportunity. Check, to see if your lever is still attached properly to the lever on your transmission. Then check to see if there is a build up of dirt or debris on your transmission, that could be restricting the full movement of the bypass lever on your transmission.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Also, check to see if your transmission drive belt is fully tight, after you release your brake/clutch pedal. If your belt is slipping, this can affect the performance of your transmission. Double check to confirm whether the thick grass caused any issues relating to the movement of your mower.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lever is still attached and is free from debris
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for this information. Check your drive belt. Keep in mind that your mower have two belts. (Deck Belt and Drive Belt)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The drive belt does appear to be a bit loose
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

This could be part of our problem. Let's make sure that your belt is on all of your pulleys. Check the spring that attaches to your idler pulley arm.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All seems ok
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

If everything appears to be ok, then you may consider replacing your drive belt. Your existing belt may be stretched, causing it to be a bit loose.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can it be tightened?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

There are not any adjustments for your belt. Looseness is accounted for, when you release your clutch/brake pedal, as long as your belt is in good condition.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello Luke. This is just a follow up, to see if all went well for you. Thanks again!