Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

Mine starts just like the last video....so what was the

Customer Question

mine starts just like the last video....so what was the conclusion
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Rick is not online today. Can you explain your problem to me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello , I have a cub cadet lt50 that is cranking over hard. I have used a well charged car battery directly to the starter with the same results.. mine sounds exactly like the video posted here. i'm thinking either starter or decompression not working. what was the fix for the one in the video? thank you
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Good morning.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

There are three possible reasons for our problem. Valves being out of adjustment, faulty decompression mechanism on your cam gear, or a bad starter. The most common of the three are valves being out of adjustment, something related to your valves.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Remove your spark plug, to see if your engine will spin freely, as you attempt to crank it. If so, then checking your valves will be the next step in troubleshooting our problem.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Remove your valve cover, and check all parts associated with your valves. Make sure both valves are opening and closing properly. If so, check your valve clearances.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
spins freely with no plugs,,i'll check the valve adjustment next
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for this information. I believe your engine is a V-Twin Kohler Command engine. Your engine have hydraulic lifters, so you will not need to check valve clearances on this particular engine.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Check instead, to make sure your valves are fully opening and closing, and is not partially sticking. Sometimes, if one of your rocker arms are excessively loose, when your piston is at top dead center, on your compression stroke, this could be an indication of a problem with that particular valve. Also, check for bent or broken push rods.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

We can continue from here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I observed each valve as I turned it over by hand several times each. valves appear to move smoothly threw the entire travel. the valve lash seems fine,neither too tight or loose. I then put just one plug back in at a time,then cranked it over on the starter. both sides acted the same when itcame up on compression it will stall the starter. yes its a kolher courage 23 v twin. thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this problem has steadily gotten worse over time,,i just thought it was a week battery.. Could it be possible that the starter only binds under load? just a thought
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for checking this for me. Based upon your results, I would remove the starter, and get it tested. Your starter could be worn internally. Worn brushes, cracked magnets, bad armature, etc. If you have a local alternator / generator / starter shop, in your area, they will be able to correctly test your starter. It is best to be sure, before purchasing a new starter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you, ***** ***** get it tested and get back to you with the results
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome!