Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Ok ....just bought a used 97 425 from a dealer and to me

Customer Question

Ok ....just bought a used 97 425 john from a dealer and to me .....got it at a rediculously low price ...it started and ran fine till I got it home.....it ran approx. 2 hrs. Then shut down .. it wheels over but refuses. To start .bought a time delay modual ... no. Luck ?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

425 is carburetor engine. If you remove a spark plug and ground it, do you have spark? If you have spark, put teaspoon of fuel into the spark plug hole, re-install the spark pug, and see if it will start for a few seconds.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

If it does, check the solenoid in the carburetor, it has to open the fuel passage to the cylinders. It should click open as soon as key is turned on. Has to have 12 volts at all times key is on.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

With twin engine, you have duel coils and pickups, and a single igniter. So if no spark on either cylinder, the igniter is questionable.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Did you get chance to check the mower?