Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

Poulan chain saw250..new carb..will only start with air

Customer Question

poulan chain saw250..new carb..will only start with air screws at 1.5 turns out. have to go to .5 turns to run right..wont idle wont start at these settings.?????
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, you have an oldie there. Have you checked the fuel line and replace the fuel filter? If the fuel filter was filled with dirt it could have gotten inside the new carb too. I have also had problems with saws that old having air leaks caused by a dry rotted oil seal or play in the bearings making the crank to have play in it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you serious?? if I have enough sense to install new carb ;do you not think I would have enough commmon sense to check fuel filter after all these years of use..very unsatisfied with response; not worth 18.00
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am done
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer . With the screw set at 1 1/2 turns will it not hold a idle at all ?

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Can you adjust the screw thatgoes against the carburetor throttle to get it to hold some kind of idle ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
saw cuts off at anything under half throttle....fuel tank clean;new fuel filter;new lines. saw sat for 20 months since last use
cleaned original carb..;hard starting no idle;.. install new carb ..starts with air screws at 1.5 turns out but runs rough and rich;
start at 1.5 turns and while running adj.air screws in; and engine runs good;.will not idle with throttle screw all way in.
as soon as throttle trigger is slacked off engine dies ,,check air screws set at .5 turns out ... will not start until screws are at 1.5 turns
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Yeah , 1.5 is the rough settings for most carburetors to get it running . Just so I can look at diagrams of the carburetor do you have the make and model handy ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
poulan 2150 chain saw ... walbro carb #662
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ok I'm gonna pull a break down on the carburetor ,does it have a good gasket between the carburetor and where it mounts ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

The carb should be a walbro WA or wt etc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to pull it off saw to be sure. i am thinking it is a wt.will pull tomorrow and get back to you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe it is a wt but will pull tomorrow and make posi. will get back to you
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ok I'll talk to you tomorrow

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hey John sorry for the wait in time... carb is a walbro wt662.... also 0064 stamped above wt662
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ok have you checked the exhaust and arrestor screen ? To make sure these weren't blocked etc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I have not; do I have to remove muffler
will check these out and get back to you
thanks
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ok sounds good , let me know what you find out

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
hey John ;; it will be a while before I can get back on this old saw; I will check out the exhaust at later date and will contact you
dont expect you to hang on forever but I will let you know how I fare out.
Merry Christmas to you and yours ;and may God Bless you in this coming year
***** ***** Troy Al.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 12 months ago.

Same to you Troy , if it is the exhaust please don't forget to come back and rate my service so I get credited with helping you let me know what you find when you do get to check it out

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
will do but i must thank you for the time and input you have already given me
thanks again

No problem