Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

What is the intake and exhaust valve adjustment

Customer Question

What is the intake and exhaust valve adjustment specifications for a Briggs & Stratton engine model number 31C707 type 0603 B2
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Exhaust: .005" - .007"

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Intake: .003" - .005"

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Your piston needs to be 1/4" past Top Dead Center, when you are adjusting your valve clearances.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks donald
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome! I hope all goes well for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Me too
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

I will be cheering for you!

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello John, this is just a follow up, to see if all went well for you. Thanks again!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it did not start the engine. I tried it several times to make sure but it never started. A couple of times when i went to recheck, the valve clearance was no where close to where i set by the feeler guage. I could tell there was a difference in the compression of the engine. Yes the spark plug is ok. Unbelievable fire on the plug.. I guess im stumped!
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Are you saying that your compression is lower than usual? How long has it been since your engine last performed to your satisfaction?

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Can you give me a few details relating to what your engine is doing and is not doing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Depending on how the valves are set. The compression will increase or decrease. Just by the sound of the enghine. I guess it was about september when the head gasket blew. I replaced the head gasket. But could not get the valves set back like it was. I just now got around to working on it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not to worry ill just take it to a shop. Im not going to waste anymore time on it. There must be another problem. I do apreciate your time and advice.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.