Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Happy Tday! I have a JD 316 with Onan P218G-I/11081c moter.

Customer Question

Customer: Hi and Happy Tday! I have a JD 316 with Onan P218G-I/11081c moter. The starter is the issue. I bought a part from local JD dealer (who moved) that connected to the frame about 5 years ago. Worked fine till this summer. Had battery tested, shows good. When I turn the key dash lights dim- sometimes it starts, sometimes not. When I hook a 50 amp charger to it it usually starts. Could that part have gone bad in 5 years? The part is called Improvement starter solenoid wiring harness. Thank you-- my name is ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Starter works on and off- when it works it sounds great, when it does not lights dim on the dash- I have checked all connections that I can get to, does not grind.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Small Engine Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Absolutely no rush- after all it's Thankgiving. As long as you can help me fix this I don't mind paying. Not in advance though, hey?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

When you try to start it do you hear any kind of noises? Clicks, hums, buzzes? It does sound like the solenoid may be going bad, sometimes it works and others it doesn't. The easy way to check this is with a volt meter and go to the starter post and see if you are getting any voltage to the starter when it is not working. If you are not getting voltage then the solenoid is bad and not pushing voltage to it, if you are getting voltage then the starter may have a bad spot in it creating the problem. My thought however is that the solenoid is bad since it works sometimes and not others and you aren't having to do anything else in order to get it to work.