Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

The starter won't turn the motor through compression. When

Customer Question

the starter won't turn the motor through compression. When the spark plug is removed it turns great/east.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, the motor turns great/easy
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answerit sounds like your valves need to be adjusted , if they aren't opening and closing on time it can cause a compression build up . If this just started happening you could have a bent push rod or loose rocker arm

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wouldn't it run rough? Any advice on adjusting valves?
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

This has a Briggs engine right ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kohler
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

It looks like it has a kohler engine , can you get the numbers and family and info off the shroud .

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Being you replaced the starter and solenoid the only other option is the battery , but it sounds like your battery is good , have you checked it with a multimeter ?

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Can you get the info like family etc off the kohler engine ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's hooked up to a truck battery right now and I had the charger on it so I think it's good but...I don't have a multimeter. I'll go look for the info
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Family: SKH426U1G2RB, MODEL: CV15S, Spec #: 41562
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Yeah I'd like to get a volt reading because it could have a bad cell which would make the cold cranking amps weak

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I jumped it with a different battery, wouldn't that compensate?
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Yes it should , the cv15s valves are supposed to bea intense free and need no adjustments here is the service manual

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

When you jumped it with another battery did you use that battery and hook it up to the original battery in the tractor ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will need to take some time to read thru and trouble shoot some more. Is there any way to connect back to this chat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
with jumper cables on a running truck
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Yes you can log in to Just Answer and reply back or bookmark this page . The valves are supposed to be non adjustable , if you used another battery to try to jump you tractor with the original battery in it I would first look at the tractor battery. Being you don't have a multimeter I would take it to a battery place and get a volt reading on it . You should have 12.25 or higher , you could have a bad cell in the battery and that would be the easiest fix , because if it is a compression build up we will have to remove the valve covers and inspect them etc

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ok if your battery has a bad cell it would still do what it's doing . It sounds like the battery could be the culpritI had a friend 2 weeks ago with the same issue with a car and he was jumping it with a van and it wouldn't turn over and I told him to check the battery and sure enough it had a bad cell . So before we start getting into valves and bigger issues I'd pull the battery and get a volt reading on it , if you have 10.50 or 11.3 volts it has a bad cell

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will do that, thanks, ***** ***** the easy fix. I will be back, good or bad.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Yes , please let me know what you find I rather check something simple as a battery than have you pull the valve cover etc and then find it was the battery , they can drop a cell and then their cold cranking amps aren't as strong .

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi , hope your Thanksgiving was good , just wondering if you were able to pull that battery and have it tested ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I picked up a multimeter and plan to check the battery today. I'll let you know.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ok , when you do switch the meter to DC volts , mine has a spot for 20 , then you take the leads and put them on the battery etc . Let me know what volt reading you get .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Voltage drops to 4 volts when I turn the key. Going to buy a new battery.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ok but did you test it when it was sitting , what did the battery read sitting there

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12.89
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Now that seems like a good reading , but it dropped to 4 volts when cranking

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Yeah , a good battery won't drop 7 volts cranking . Let me tho the results of putting the new battery in .

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

We're you able to get a new battery ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The new battery helped a lot. Still seems to have a hard time turning at full compression. Does start now
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

if it's still having trouble it could be something with the push rods but those valves arent agjustable , does it run smooth ? Another thought is a sheared flywheel key