Rico_Soma
Rico_Soma,
94766

I have an off grid system with 1 Xantrex XW4548 inverter, 1

Customer Question

Hello;
I have an off grid system with 1 Xantrex XW4548 inverter, 1 Xantrex XW-MPPT60-150 charge controller, and 12 Siemens 75 watt panels. I would like to add about 1200 watts of new panels. I have been told that the best way to do this upgrade is to connect the new panels to a new controller and then to the battery bank and leave the old controller as is. What do you think, will two XW-MPPT60-150 controllers work together happily.
I once had an old system with two charge controllers and it was almost impassable to get the two controllers to work together. It was a constant battle of minute adjustments with a jewelers screw driver on the circuit boards.
Thank you for your help.
Ron Ames
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Rico_Soma replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation

You would need an additional battery bank for the new array. I doubt your existing battery capacity is big enough to take advantage of the added capacity not to mention there is a possibility of the conflict you mention. But beyond the new battery bank the rest of the advice is sound. You also have the advantage of 2 separate systems so even if 1 goes down you'll have the other as back up