Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

Chapman 16.5 hp Intek Briggs & Stratton on Dixon ZTR 30"

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** Chapman 16.5 hp Intek Briggs & Stratton on Dixon ZTR 30" Once the temp drops to 40 degrees and lower the engine refuses to start. Same thing every year. Dealer said it had to do with emissions?? What gives????
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It starts when hot okay although it has to grind awhile sometimes. Replaced the battery once. Now I have to keep it on the charger before it will start, This morning it was around 40 degrees and it wouldn't start.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Small Engine Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes I can wait ..time frame hr, minutes or day??
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. I will need to ask you some troubleshooting questions as we go.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

What grade of engine oil, are you using in your engine?

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

The reason I asked, is because if you are not using a multi-viscosity motor oil, this can affect the start up of your engine, in colder temperatures. Also, if your valve clearances are partially out of spec, this could affect the performance of your engine as well.