Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a 250 nt.ran great days now it seems that it runs 10

Customer Question

I have a 250 nt.ran great for 2 days now it seems that it runs 10 minutes and shuts down
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Will the machine start back up right away or do you have to wait a while before it will restart?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have to wait for a few minutes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes it will start and shut down
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like you aren't getting a good fuel supply to the carburetor in order to keep the engine running. I would check the fuel pump to make certain that it is working properly. Make sure that it is pumping fuel to the carburetor when the engine is running. Easy way to check it is to replace the fuel line from the pump to the carburetor with a piece of clear line so that you can see the fuel moving through it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How does that explain it not turning over.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

There is no mention of it not turning over, you indicating that it would run about 10 minutes and shut down and you have to wait a few minutes to restart it.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

When it shuts down, exactly what happens when you try to restart it at the times that it will not? Do you hear any noises out of the ordinary (clicks, buzzes) that aren't there when it does start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not that I can hear
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

If the engine isn't cranking then I would want to know if you are getting voltage to the starter when you try to restart it. Do you have a volt meter that you can check for voltage at the starter when it is acting up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no voltage getting to the starter the starter works fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a time off sequence that happens with low oil pressure
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

No, you should be able to crank the engine right away. You may have a relay in the switch assembly getting warm or hot and causing the shut down as well as a no crank issue. Once you let it sit a little it cools down enough to work again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would an over amp cause shut down. Not enough to trip breaker just excessive pull.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

No, it would not cause the engine to shut down. If anything it would trip a breaker.