spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman
Experience:  I worked on all types of equipment semis,forklifts,farm,ect
65057319

I have a generac propane generator. Model # 0058620, serial#

Customer Question

I have a generac propane generator. Model #(###) ###-#### *****#(###) ###-#### ***** purchased my house Nov 2014 and it came with it. At the time, it would start and power the house. I used it once last winter. It was not set to cycle weekly. I went out a few weeks and screen was completely dead. There was a huge battery in it. It would only manually start at random. I charged the battery with my own battery charger. It was still intermittent starting. But battery was not holding charge and I noticed battery was boiling. So either battery out built in charger was toast. I bought and installed a 26r battery and it seems to start fine. But screen is still blank. There power went out last week, so over the phone I instructed my wife to turn on. It did so without problem s. BUT, it didn't send any power into the house. My guess is the board. I have never touched any wiring on the generator besides when dealing the battery. Can you assist me diagnosing it. Seems like they are kinda simple and it is either a wiring issue or board. Ooh, and the fuse on top is good.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Good morning Kevin, sorry for delay, my name is ***** ***** you for asking your question, I will try and help you out.

Replace the board!

They had a bad batch of boards that usually caused a no charging light to come on and if generator was not cycled weekly the internal board battery probably went bad and once it goes bad board needs at the very least to be rebuilt.

You may find a place near you that can fix the board, you would have to compare cost against new board.

Take pictures of all wiring on board before removing,look on back of board for part numbers to search for a new board, look for one dated as new as possible if you are purchasing from any other source than the dealer.

If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:
1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.

2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.
The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)

3. Please let me know if you'd like to discuss this further...just click the reply button or use the reply box below to let me know.
If this has been helpful, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my personal service to you.

Questions or problems let me know I'm happy to assist.
Thank You,
spanky

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** have more information for you. Last night I went out to mess with it. It started right up, but when I turned it off the red light LED on the side came on. and then wouldn't start up again. I disconnected battery and all plugs trying to reset it.... no luck. eventually I held down esc and then hit "enter" and the red light turned to a green light. It fired right back up. I then realized that I had the breakers on the side of the unit turned which did when I was replacing the battery. I closed them and at that poing I had electricity in the house. So right now the only thing that doesn't work is the screen. It will light up, but will never show any text. Besides that the unit seems to be operating properly. It still sounds to me that the board isn't functioning. Where do you recommend getting parts or repairs done?Thanks
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

It's the software in board that goes bad yes you need a board!

Whoever is cheaper, as long as it is stocked and shipped from USA.

Even ebay is okay as long as they guarantee its good and except returns,,use number off of old board and it will give you new part number, old ones are replaced with newer software.

Thank You,
spanky

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks! and to pull it off I just need to take off the top black plate on the right side and then I'll have access to the bolts holding down the control panel? It looks like from the pictures online it just has 5 ports of differing sizes so it should be pretty straight forward. Are there any other things I should know when replacing it?
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Make sure battery disconnected, all breakers are off, and you have no static by touching frame often before handling new board.

I would still take pictures of all pats,and wiring and if not clear mark plugs to ports just in case you don't get back to it for awhile and forget,,your phone works well for this.

Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Please take a moment to rate or accept my service so that I can get credit for my time from the web site ,without a rating or accept the web site does not pay me.
NOTE: Do NOT Rate on how much TIME you waited, because I am not on 24 / 7 and I answer as soon as I see the question.
The question will still remain open for follow up questions if needed.

Thanks
spanky

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just got back from a trip and still need to replace the board. Can you assist me with the part number to make sure I purchase the correct one?THanks
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Use the number off old board so you get the updated model, if applicable it will change numbers when you search for new one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I just got the board out. what number is *****? there is a "C20100217F9","ASS'YOG7549REV.F" and "ASSY 0G7628 Rev C" on the board. On the gray plastic housing it says "ASSEMBLY 0H0643 REV. C C1003"
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Click here

Before ordering look at old board of any burn marks or corrosion clean and test

.

You may also want to see if anyone in your area repairs them.

please don't forget to rate with stars or I get nothing for my time.

Merry Christamas

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see any burnt spots or corrosion. I'll replace it right now and see if it fires up. If it doesn't work, which number do I start searching with?
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

OH0643

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I just reinstalled it and it didn't work SO I placed an order for a new one. I'll let you know how that goes once I get it installed.
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Okay, please rate my service so I get credit for my time.

The question will stay open if you need to reply