Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Experience:  Over 10 years as a Deere Service Tech.
32685367

I have a jd 318 p218 an the starter won't turn over I get

Customer Question

I have a jd 318 p218 an the starter won't turn over I get 12.7 at the battery at the starter still the same hit the key goes to 8.3 volts just hums the starter relay
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I would like to help you with your question.

Based on your description it sounds like you may still have a battery problem. If you are testing voltage at the battery and you have 12.7 volts but then only 8.3 volts when the key is turned to the start position then you either have a huge draw or a bad battery. A good test would be to put your volt meter on the battery and observe voltage during the following tests.

1. Turn the key to the run position, battery voltage should not drop more then 0.5 volts.
  2. With the key turned to run flip the mower deck switch to on, the electric clutch should not cause the voltage to drop more then 1.5 volts.

If the battery voltage dropped more then specified above during the tests then you may still have a bad battery. Before proceeding further with diagnostics I would recommend trying to start the tractor with jumper cables to a known good battery or running vehicle. If the engine cranks normally when jumped then the battery should be replaced.

You could also have a battery ground problem, or a voltage drop on the main power circuit. Let me know what you are seeing in terms of voltage using the above two tests.

Thanks,

Kevin

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Please keep me posted if I can be of any further assistance.

Thanks,m

Kevin

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Just following up to see if you have gotten to the bottom of your problem. I would be happy to assist you with further diagnostics as needed.

Thanks,

Kevin