Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

First off, I am a diesel mechanic who works on tractors and

Customer Question

First off, I am a diesel mechanic who works on tractors and heavy equipment. I don't know much about these utes.Battery is fully charged. 12 volts to the switch. no clicking, no lights, etc. when key turned to on or start. My customer was using the ute, had it running at idle, when it quit.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

HI, my name is***** will be assisting you.

It sounds like you may have blown a fuse. Have you checked the fuses yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I've been talking to another responder to my question. Fuses are OK. Hot at the solenoid. Hot at the harness to the switch. Switch working perfectly. Good ground. Plug the switch into the harness and get nothing out.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Can you locate the 'S' terminal on the switch, each one of the spade terminals on the back of the switch should be lettered either on the terminal itself or at the base of the terminal in the plastic of the switch? I would like to know if you get any voltage on the 'S' terminal when you turn the ignition key to the start position.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

You either have to be pressing the brake pedal or have the parking brake locked on most of these machines before you can start it. It's part of the safety features on the machines.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

It also has to be in neutral before it will crank the engine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't even get lights on the dash. It's like a wire was cut or a fuse blew. I can only find one 25 amp main fuse and it's good. Like I said, the ute was running at idle and suddenly quit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Cub Cadet people said that it would not be the ECM but that is exactly what it sounds like to me.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

So it is a Cub Cadet. What engine does it have? Can you provide the model and serial number of the machine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Volunteer Tracker with a Kohler twin. EFI.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Is it a 465 or a 466 and do you have the serial number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
model 37AM46ED710 s.n. 1J228G40002
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Give me a little bit to work on a solution and I will come back to you with a response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I have to go to a Masonic Lodge meeting in a few minutes. Be back with you later.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

I have to step away from the computer for a little bit but I will be back to respond as soon as I can.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

I have done a bit of research and as I look at the information that is provided I don't believe you have ECM problem. I have located a wiring schematic for the machine and there are in fact two other fuses in the system, one 20A and one 30A, that could cause you a problem. If I were going to search I would start with the 20A as it looks like it would have more to do with the starting system. The 30A looks like it only goes to the cooling fan. I have included the schematic here for your viewing.

I hope that this helps you. If you look at the bottom about center or just a little left of center in the diagram you will see a 20A fuse that they are calling a regulator fuse this is where I would start.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, I have that diagram and have checked those fuses. Both OK.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Let's go back and find out if you are getting any voltage off of the 'S' terminal on the ignition switch when you turn the key to the start position.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, let's start over. Switch works when unplugged from the harness. Plugged in I get nothing at any terminal . No S, A1, A2, nothing. I have 12.5 volts to the switch from the harness but nothing anywhere when it's plugged in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have turned the key.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Okay, since you are getting voltage to the switch but nothing coming out anywhere then you either have a bad ignition switch or a bad ground to the switch. If the switch has recently been replaced then I would make certain that the correct switch was installed since not all of those switches are identical, they may look the same but the terminals can be configured differently one to another which would cause your problem. There is also a ground going from the switch back to the frame that could be bad as well. One of these two things would have to be your problem since there is no power coming out of the switch on any terminal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have both the old and a new switch. Both are good. Both are correct. I have a GOOD ground everywhere. That was the first thing I checked.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Whatever you do this is not going to start until you get power coming out of the switch. If you have power going into the switch then it has to be either a switch or a grounding problem. Until you get power coming out of the switch to the 'S' terminal the machine will never start. The fuses have to be okay otherwise you would not get power to the switch. Nothing else comes into the picture until you get power out of the switch on the 'S' terminal and you should also have power on the 'A' terminals at that time.

I have no further suggestions at this time. I will opt out of your questions which will allow for one of the other experts here to add comments if anyone else may have anything to add or suggest.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks anyway. This is the most baffling electrical problem I have ever encountered. I've been doing this for 40 years but don't know much about electronics. That's why I thought it may be in the ecm.