Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I was just on and my tablet died. Generac 5000 won't run

Customer Question

I was just on and my tablet died. Generac 5000 won't run after running this am. Checked plug seems not to spark when I try to start
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Have you checked the oil level? A lot of these machines have a low oil sensor that will kill the spark if the oil gets low. There is also an igniter module on the outside of the block that could have gone bad. The ignition coil could be bad but I would check the oil and the igniter prior to ignition coil.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

If you haven't already tried replacing the spark plug you might do that just in case it is just a plug issue. I have seen some or these machines that the plug looks good but still won't fire and all you have to do is replace it with a new one and the machine works fine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A plug is new, oil level is good. How do you check the igniter?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately on this unit there is no way to check or test the igniter without installing a new one to see if it fixes the problem. The igniter is not very expensive and is going to be the easiest part to replace to see if it fixes the problem. I am unaware of a test or check that you can do on the igniter to determine whether it is good or bad. You might try to unplug the oil sensor from the wiring system just to make sure that the sensor itself hasn't gone bad. Once unplugged you can try to start the machine, if the sensor is bad then you will have spark or the machine will start.