Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Tracker volunteer with Kohler engine just quit. Has a good

Customer Question

tracker volunteer with Kohler engine just quit. Has a good battery and 12 volts to switch. Will not try to start. Answer?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a voltmeter to test with? What is the battery voltage with meter? Fully charged battery will be over 13 volts. Do you get any clicking when switch is turned on or key turned to start? Can you turn the engine by hand, to be sure engine is not locked?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

If you jump the starter solenoid does engine spin?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battery voltage to the switch 12.5 volts. Battery load tested good. engine will spin when shorted at solenoid. nothing coming out of new switch. It's like a fuse is blown(it's not) or a wire is broken (it's not). Could the ECM be bad?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By the way, I am a diesel mechanic and don't normally work on this kind of thing. Just heavy equipment and tractors. But this belongs to one of my really good customers and I couldn't tell him no.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Typically this is a safety switch problem, and on UTV, brake and neutral are the common ones. The safety system completes the ground circuit for start.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brake switch is fine. Would neutral switch cause it to die while running?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

No, neutral switch is there only for start.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Need to get it cranking, then check the air/fuel /ignition!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was running at idle in neutral when it suddenly stopped. Would not do anything after that
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Without a diagram on the unit, or the ECM, hard to say what it does. It may be where the ground signal comes through. Does the keyswitch show to be grounded on any of the terminals> Does This Kohler need battery voltage to run, or just the coils and magnet in flywheel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have ground and voltage to the switch. Don't know about the Kohler. I think it has a magneto but have not confirmed that. Even so I don't get any voltage to the solenoid from the switch. I even tried to short from "battery" to "start" on the switch wires and got nothing.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

You say no voltage coming out of switch? Measured at the switch or checked at the starter solenoid?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay. Had to go to a Masonic meeting yesterday.When the switch is out I have juice on the battery wire. Switch is working correctly. When the switch is plugged into the harness I get nothing at the switch. That's why I think it could be feedback from the ECM. But not having any way to test it and not having a wiring schematic I have no way of knowing.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I don't have needed information. I will opt out, and see if someone else will answer! Sorry.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks anyway.