JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a briggs and stratton toro 7.0 190cc. It starts with

Customer Question

I have a briggs and stratton toro 7.0 190cc. It starts with startup fluid, but immediately dies again. I have replaced the air filter, am about to replace the spark plug, and have changed the oil. The battery is charged up, but I am using the manual pull cord, since I lost the electric start key. The engine seems to not be getting gas-the only thing left that I have not addressed. But, I can't find a way to access the fuel filter, if there even is one. Is there a fuel filter? How do you access it? What other thoughts do you have about this mower startup problem?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

If your machine has a fuel filter it is built into the outlet of the fuel tank and is not serviceable without replacing the fuel tank. I would recommend that you remove the carburetor bowl and thoroughly clean it as well as the small holes in the bolt or nut that holds the bowl on, these small holes serve as the main fuel jets for this carburetor and if they become partially blocked the engine will not run properly. The only way to do anything to the in tank filter is the remove the fuel tank from the machine and dump all the fuel out and blow the tank out with air which will remove anything that might have been in the tank or covering the filter screen.