Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I have a Onan 4000 Micro quiet. The problem is we put on a

Customer Question

Hello, I have a Onan 4000 Micro quiet KY. The problem is we put on a new fuel pump, because the generator would cut off on hot days when running the air cond. and driving my motorhome. It would run fine as long as it was sitting still. After we put on the new pump it wouldn't start. My brother found a loose ( red wire ) coming off the carb.. He tightened that wire and it started. Now it runs fine. But it won't cut off. We have to squeeze the fuel line shut to stop it. It has an on/ off switch on the generator, one on the dash and one inside the motorhome. None of those will turn it off. What do you think? Thanks, ***** *****
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

This sounds like you have a broken or loose wire from the start switch, or possible a miswiring of a wire.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Hank, The generator has 3 start and stop switches. None of them
will turn it off. You wouldn't think all three would have a bad
connection. If something is wired wrong do you have any idea what it may
be? Thanks,--
Butch
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it is very possible that all 3 switches are acting up - especially if the harness itself is the problem.

As far as where something could be miswired, I have no idea what all you have done to the unit. You've already said you removed all the wires from the solenoid, and it is very possible you have something wrong there.