Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

My toro 20339, just topped working today. I would like to

Customer Question

My toro 20339, just topped working today. I would like to know what to do to troubleshoot it.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer did it stop running in mid use or will it just not restart ? . For any engine to run you need spark , fuel and compression . To check for spark it's best to have a spark tester . Can you remove the air filter and see if the choke is closed , it's the plate that covers the opening to the carburetor if it is , try starting it with the air filter off

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any photos or description of what you are speaking of.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Here is a video , this will show you how to remove the air filter , is the mower stored inside a shed or outside under a tarp etc.

http://youtu.be/t0aPC57qgT0

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi were you able to get the air filter out ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry been really busy. I opened the air filter it wasn't that bad. Cleaned it out it worked for about 25 minutes and then cropped out again. What do you think?
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Is it stored outside ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No inside
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ok , how old is the gas in it would you say in it

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

A engine needs spark , fuel and compression to run , you loosing one of those . Will it start back up right away or does it take a hr or so

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Takes a while. More than an hour less than a day
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

If it does around the same time period of usage like let's say it dies after 30 minutes of use each time every time my concern would be the coil being bad , they will get hot and loose their spark once hot if they are bad , or it could be the valves or rings . It will get hot then loose compression etc . Does it happen around the same time of usage every time ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does after about 20-25 minutes of use
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ok so at this point we would need 2 tools to check these , the first being a spark tester , they make some in line glow testers , it clips to the coil and to the spark plug . You would run the mower till it dies then carefully unplug the coil from the spark plug then plug the tester up and pull it seeing if it has spark , if it does your coil is fine , if not then it's the coil and needs to be replaced . Be careful as the spark plug will be hot hot hot .

If it has spark the next test requires a compression tester , you run it till it dies then carefully remove the spark plug . Again it will be scalding hot , and screw in the compression tester hand tight and pull it a few times , you Ned 60 psi for a 4 cycle engine to run , so if you have 50 or 55 you know it's the rings or valves

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where do I get all these testing units?
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

There are some places online you can buy them from but just being honest , it may be easier to call your local small engine shops and see how much they charge to test compression and spark , some shops will not charge to diagnose , I don't locally . I would hate to see you spend 40 plus dollars on testing equipment but I'll check around online for the best prices

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Here is a link to both testers

Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=321925809682&alt=web

Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=181504529177&alt=web