Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a husqvarna 435 chainsaw and it will not run at all.

Customer Question

I have a husqvarna 435 chainsaw and it will not run at all. I used it to cut a couple truck loads of fire wood then put it up didnt set for just a couple weeks. Went to use it fuel tank was dry now i filled it up and put oil in the bar oil resivor and
wont try to evwen start at all. The card has been took off and cleaned also am getting plenty of spark and fuel is getting into the motor. I dont know what else to check. took the muffler off and card off cleaned it still nothign
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. I will need to ask you some troubleshooting questions as we go. Have you tried a new spark plug?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Okay. When you had your muffler off, did you check to see if your piston, or cylinder was scored?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thats why i took it off and there was no markings
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for this information. Do you have a compression tester?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
saw ran rood last time we used it then i fired it up and cut thru a branch that was about as round as a half dollar and it just quit as i was turning it off now it wont start at all also it was bone dry when i picked it up befor i started cutting
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Did your gas leak into your cylinder?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there was gas in the cylinder like it was flooding since it was not starting i know there pretty simple to work on but this thing i can not figure out kill switch works getting air furl and spark im lost
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

I understand. Are you near your saw?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i can be yes what do i need to do
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

For troubleshooting purposes, I would like for you to do two things. First, check to see if your spark plug is wet. If it is not, spray a small burst of carburetor cleaner, directly into your carburetor. Let's see what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tried that already and absolutely nothing at all happen thats what got me puzzled
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Keep in mind that an engine need three components, in order to start up and perform to your satisfaction. An engine need Fuel, Spark, and Compression. You have already confirmed that you are getting fuel, and spark.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

This is why I asked about a compression tester.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Have you completely resolved the flooding issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im going to go to the neighbors and get a tester will you be on here for a few minuites
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Yes I will be here. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i pulled about 5 times and had about 40-60 lbs first pull gave me around 35
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for checking for me. Your compression is too low. Your compression needs to be a minimum of 90 psi., although I prefer 100 psi. or above.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what do i need to do if the compression is to low
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You will need to determine what is causing your drop in compression. You could have stuck rings, or a leaking gasket. Also, check the four screws that secures your cylinder to your crankcase. Check to see if they are tight.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok are you on here often or what times i will check a few things tonight will you be online long
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Your piston and cylinder looks good, when looking through your exhaust ports. Check also from your intake/carburetor side. I will be here until 10:00 pm central time tonight. I will be back online at 5:30 pm central time tomorrow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks so much i will do some investigating tonight
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome! Just check everything closely, I believe you will discover where our problem lies.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still here
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I am back with you. How are you today? I have been waiting to find out what your investigation revealed. We can continue from here. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i took everything completely apart and could not find any bad seals anywhere are you sure the compression should be 90-100 is that the factory recomendations
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Good morning! Thank you for checking your engine. Yes, your compression need to at least 90 psi or above. 40-60 psi, is too low, for your engine to start up.