Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Cub Cadet 17ae2act756 zero turn mower. I have

Customer Question

I have a Cub Cadet 17ae2act756 zero turn mower. I have changed the clutch and checked PTO switch. When mower runs for a few minutes then cuts blade off. Switch and clutch are good. Do not know what else to do.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. How old is your battery? How long do you have to wait, before your pto clutch will work again, after it shuts off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battery is new after I installed the new clutch assy it run about 10 minutes and clutch cut off. I even ran clutch wires strait to the battery it run about a minute and cut off
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Are you saying, that even if you run a positive wire, directly from your battery, to your pto clutch, your clutch still only runs for one minute???

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

These are only troubleshooting questions.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Will your clutch start right back up, after it shut off, or do you have to wait? You may have a loose connection. We can continue from here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You have to wait about 5 minutes
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for this information. Do you have a 12 volt test light, or a multimeter? If so, we can do some troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you get my last reply about 40 years of being a mechanic and being mad that I can't figure this out.. Hooked up direct it never does loose 12 volts but clutch disengages. I don't know
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for this information. No I did not get that reply. If your clutch is disengaging, although you are getting a continuous 12 volts, you may be loosing your ground. Are you running a ground directly from your battery, when you hook your clutch up direct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did hook the ground up to the battery and put an inline fuse between positive end just in case something shortened
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Okay. Your clutch still shut off, with the hook up you posted above?? Jackie, can you double check your model numbers for me. The numbers you posted are not working for me. I would like to pull up a wiring schematic. Some pto clutches get ground via a relay.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Jackie, if your clutch is shutting down even when you have it hooked up directly to your battery, you have either a faulty new pto clutch, or a loose connection.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

A direct hook up to your battery, eliminates all relays, pto switch, and safety switches.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
be back shortly
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Okay. No problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry took so long but I was sitting here thinking and the only thing I haven't done is take the short pigtail wire from the harness to the clutch off so I wired it up leaving the pigtail out and it works fine . After looking at the pigtail I saw it was made up with fuse link wire and it had burnt into inside the rubber as they do and when it would cool off it would shrink back together and connect
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for checking. The part you are calling a fusible link, is a diode, I believe.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't see a diode only link wire I thought a diode would be used to prevent feed back
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Many times there is a diode referred to as an anti chatter diode in-line. If i can pull up a wiring schematic, I can double check this for you.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

This diode is normally in place to protect your pto switch ...