Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Can not start a onan 5500

Customer Question

can not start a onan 5500
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What is the full model number of the genset, exactly as it appears on the data label?

"Can not start" is extremely vague. Exactly what is or isn't it doing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
7HGJAD-2560A
This is a commercial unit that drives a hyd. pump. We were having problems of it cutting off when hot and then not starting until cool. Was no codes so I changed coils on just a guess, also pulled flywheel to check belt while there. Now when starting it will backfire thru the throttle body. After a ;lot of tire kicking I went back and put original coils back on, checked to make sure flywheel was on right but it still backfires and no codes. Have bought new controller, compression is about 125 both cly, has spark both plugs, fuel pressure is 48, put in new plugs and have adj valves. Still will not run, just backfires and no codes. Acts like it is out of time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'am not able to wait on a answer, have decided to take it to a dealer to have repaired.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

OK

Sorry, but you waited 6 days to get the model number. I couldn't do anything without it.