Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I called in the other day and got the help. The starter

Customer Question

I called in the other day and got the help. The starter cable on my Craftsman 6.5 B & G Mower broke and I successfully replaced it. After priming and a few pulls it started. I ran it through thru the grass no problem, and tied the operator control bar to let it run by itself for a while. Okay. Changed oil and gas and spark plug previously. TURNED IT OFF AND THEN IT WOULDN'T START AGAIN. I checked all the linkages, reprimed, still wouldn't start.Checked the distance from the ignition magnets to the flywheel. Primed again and IT STARTED. Let it run for a while, stopped it. then it won't start again. LONG STORY, BUT WHAT'S WRONG? IT starts, then it won't;, then it will; then it won't. Help! I mowed the whole yard today after I got it started somehow, with the operator control bar tied. Turned it of-won't start again.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. I will need to ask you some troubleshooting questions as we go.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

We need to determine if the reason your engine will not re-start, after you turn it off, is fuel related, or ignition related.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Are you familiar with checking for spark to your spark plug?

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

I would like for you to check something for me, when you have a chance. Tie your operator control bar again, and wait until your engine fail to start, then check to see if you are getting spark to your spark plug. There are two ways to check for spark. You can remove your spark plug, then re-attach your spark plug wire. Ground the threaded end of your spark plug to your cylinder head. Watch for a spark, as you get someone to pull your rope for. See attachment below.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

If you have some carburetor cleaner, spray a small burst directly into your carburetor, to see if your engine will start back up, during the times your engine is hard to start. If your engine starts briefly, This will help to determine if you are getting spark to your spark plug.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

We can continue from here. Thanks!