Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Ariens sierra lawnmower. new battery. engine will briefly

Customer Question

ariens sierra lawnmower. new battery. engine will briefly try to turn over when starting then nothing except occasional clicking
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Have you removed spark plug to see if engine will spin? It may have fluid on top of piston.?? Can you turn engine full 360 with the screen on top? What is the engine model number? Do you have a voltmeter to check the voltage drop?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the engine will turn manually. the spark plugs fire when ignition switch is turned to start. I do have a meter
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Check battery voltage before start, and when you turn to start. Battery voltage should stay above 8 volts at crank.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you think of any thing else to try or check? could the starter be bad?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Starter can be bad,but the voltage test would determine that. If battery voltage stays above 8 volts, and engine does not spin. Starter can be problem. But I asked what engine and you have not told me. A Briggs single cylinder OHV engine can have compression release that can cause engine to be hard to turn if it breaks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
mower is a dohc briggs and straton
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Model number? I doubt it has OHC, maybe OHV.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have access to number or machine right now but it does have two cylinders
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

The twin cylinder OHV Briggs engine usually is not hard to crank, That makes me think that the starter may be the probem Do the voltage test, and go from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** to close.