Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers
32407143

I had to replace the drive belt on my 2011 bronco... After

Customer Question

I had to replace the drive belt on my 2011 bronco... After replacing the belt it seems too close to the arm that holds the idle pulley. The spring that creates tension on the idle pulley is connected where it is directly under the drive belt. When the pedal is pushed to create tension so pulleys can make the lawn mower go seems to push the belt where it is directly against the arm that supports the idle pulley.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** you double checked, to make sure your belt is properly routed?

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

There are some model numbers under your seat. Can you get these numbers for me, please? We can continue from here. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the belt is properly routed...So, i have already been charged....I thought the remainder would be charged after receiving my answer...model number 13WX78KS011 Bronco (2011)
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for this information. You will not be billed, until I have provided you with an answer that meets your needs, and you are satisfied.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

I am away from my computer for a while today. I will not be available until 4:30 pm central time today. I am replying at the moment via my mobile phone. If this time is not convenient for you, I can opt out, and give someone else an opportunity to assist you. If you prefer to wait, I will pull up your mower, and find a solution to our problem, when I am back at my computer.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Brian, please let me know what you prefer to do. We can go from here. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i would like an answer today..if possible
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

I will go ahead and opt out. I do not have images and illustrations available on my phone. This will open your question up to other available experts, to assist you. Thank you again for choosing Just Answer. I truly hope all goes well for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Go back and look at the idler pulleys, is the flat pulley on the backside of the belt and the grooved pulley on the grooves side of belt? If not the pulleys will not have the needed tension and will be under the belt. I assume this is the long belt you changed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is the long belt. the grooved side of the idler belt is facing in towards the pulleys. the idler belt has tension...its the arm of the idler pulley that has a tension spring attached that the drive belt is up against when the pedal to go is pressed the long drive belt is rubbing against that bar that hold the small idler pulley... the tension spring on the idler pulley attaches to the side of the mower directly under the long drive belt. is there something that is suppose to track the drive belt away from the bar that supports the idler pulley. I cranked the mower and it will move when pedal depressed...but it still rubs against that bar that holds the idler pulley.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

one idler is flat, it has to go on the backside of the belt.???

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are three pulleys the small (idler belt) goes around...one of the pulleys is shared by the drive belt and small idler belt. the bottom groove is where I routed the drive belt...the top belt has the small idler belt...the long belt, the one I changed as it goes around the bottom groove part of the pulley one side is towards the middle of the mower..that is the part up against the smallest pulley that the belt is going around....So are you saying that the long belt is suppose to be against the idler pulley? because it it is, it contacts the bar that supports that smallest idle pulley...(i have attached a drawing..hope this explains) better.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

# ***** are the two idlers I was thinking about, one is flat and one is grooved. Did you remove the bar that the belt is contacting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did remove it....it supports pulley #64.. part number #72 is the part the belt is contacting
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

IS belt correct size?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the belt works its is up against part #72...do I have that part in the wrong position? the spring on that small pulley pulls part 72 into the path of the belt. without the spring attached there is not tension on that pulley
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

You may have it mounted wrong, I cant see how it is mounted. Will it flip? The spring has to keep tension on the pulley/lever.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would part #72 be on top of the pulley or would part 72 where connected to the frame go underneath instead of resting on top of frame..Im not looking at the mower right now...but thats the only way I could have put Part #72 on wrong. I don't think its upside down or the bolt end is on wrong side of frame but Im not an expert..I will look at it this evening...thanks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

End with spring ,goes up toward frame.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have end with pulley wheel on top..the spring is towards the deck with the blades....I will flip it and try that...Thanks.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK, lets try that.

Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, the idler arm #72 goes on top of the bracket. The main drive belt rides above the idler aarm

Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.

When the top belt is on look from the side to see if the idler pulley is aligned properly with the big pulley so the belt doesn't come off. I just replaced belts on a bronco and the idler arm was bent.