Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

My Honda em7000 generator is running but rather poorly. The

Customer Question

my Honda em7000 generator is running but rather poorly. The speed keeps rising an falling regardless of load. Ecco is off. Any suggestions?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. How long has it been since your engine last performed to your satisfaction?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had it running for a short time about 4 or 5 months ago.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

The reason your engine speed is rising and falling, is because of surging, due to your carburetor starving for fuel.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

How old is the gas you have inside your gas tank?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Half the tank is probably a little over a year old. I supplemented with 1/4 tank "fresher" gas that is about 6 months old. All gas was treated with stabilizer. I plan to run this tank out (my power is out) and fill with fresh premium gas I bought tonight. Is there a gas treatment you might recommend to help clean out the carb? Pep Boys is close by and can still get there before they close.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a Home Depot, or Tractor Supply in your area?

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

There is a fuel treatment called Mechanic In A Bottle. This product works really well, the majority of the time.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

I have seen it at Tractor Supply co., and at Home Depot.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

I would completely drain the old gas from your gas tank, if possible, and start with fresh gas. I would add the Mechanic In A Bottle, to about 1/4 of a tank of gas, or less, initially, then fill tank, after surging clears.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

We can continue from here. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ran almost half tank of fresh gas through generator. No change.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for letting me know. Did you add some Mechanic In A Bottle to your gas?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I may have missed this suggestion, my internet went down for several hours. I added a little STP gas treatment to the fresh gas but that didn't help. I'll try the Mechanic in a Bottle if I can find it locally. The odd thing is I get the same surging even when I switch the generator to ecco mood, which lowers the RPM to match electrical demand. The ecco mood uses considerably less gas. Anyway, I'll try the gas treatment you suggested. I don't think I want to try to clean the carburetor jets, messed that up before on my dirt bike, so back to the shop for the third time with the same problem. In general I like Honda products but they have something wrong with this unit. Thanks for your help. Eric
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The rest of your emails just came through. I'll try Home Depot.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Eric, let's hope the Mechanic In A Bottle works for you. Remember to add it to a 1/4 of a tank of gas or less. Check out the directions on the bottle.

If this doesn't work, your carburetor will need to be soaked and given a really good manual cleaning.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know what your results are. We can continue from here. Thanks!