Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have a ride on mower 21hp When it runs it sputters and

Customer Question

I have a ride on mower 21hp When it runs for awhile it sputters and stalls. It wont start again. after a few hours it will start but will stall again and not start. any idea why this is?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. There could be a few things causing this , it could be a loss of spark , or loss of compression , or a issue with the fuel , carb etc . I think once it dies you could check for spark to make sure the coil is producing spark . If you have spark the next step is to borrow or get a compression tester. Test the compression prior to starting it , being a 4 cycle it needs 60 psi or higher compression , then run it till it dies and check the compression again if it's down to 55 psi you know your loosing compression etc , also try cracking your gas cap etc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it be a fuel filter problem?
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Can you see gas getting through to it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but it seems a small amount
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ok loosen the gas cap , it may be locking the fuel flow by not breathing correctly