Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have oil leaking from the fuel pump on my 22 hp briggs and

Customer Question

I have oil leaking from the fuel pump on my 22 hp briggs and Stratton lawn mower engine. why?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

The fuel pump has a vent in it , on the crankcase pulse side. Thi is where the oil will leak from.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Will be caused by too much oil in the crankcase, or the oil being too thin from gas contamination. Is the oil over full or smell of fuel in the oil?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

The leak is what you see, but not the cause. Cause is the oil to be pushed into the pulse tube that powers the pump. Line will be coming off the rocker cover or from the crankcase.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The oil level was not too high but actually pretty low when first noticed. What do you recommend to fix the problem?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

The engine has a vent line to the air inlet , before the carburetor. need to check that the vent line is open and breathing! Breather hose may be pinched or collapsed, making the crankcase pressure higher than normal, and pushing oil out the fuel pump vent.