Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have a 1998 Yard Machine Snowblower 8 hp 24" the

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Yard Machine Snowblower 8 hp 24" the problem I am having is the selfpropel traction drive will not work. 1) With traction drive engaged friction wheel engages clutch drive and I can't turn axle gear to friction wheel by hand. 2) With traction
drive disengaged gear to axle @ friction wheel moves by hand. Wheel axle does not turn when gear is turning. 3) Wheel axle moves freely whether traction drive is engaged or not but gear on wheel axle does not. 4) Belts look good. This happen last winter while
snowblowing self-propel just stopped working. I found the bolt that holds the wheel to the axle on the left side was missing replaced this but traction drive still does not work. Help!!! winter is coming! Thanks Rick
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi Rick my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. Do you have the model number so I can look at the parts break down on your blower ? . Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi John, I had to out so I can't get that for you. I'll be gone for a few hours, when I get back I'll get the info and forward it to you. Thanks John.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ok great , I look forward to hearing back from you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi John,
I just returned home here is the info you requested:
Engine Model # ***** 15554V (h)
Engine Family # *****
Displacement #(###) ###-####AThanks
Rick
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Is there a model number for the blower itself ? Like a 12a-337460 etc type number ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey John,The only other number I can find is 1753-0005.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ok. I will try to do what I can , does it say like 8/32 etc on it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, and the number I just sent you was located on the frame and looked like it was scribed on, it was not on a plate or anything.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ok , well it sounds like it has the usual friction drive set up . So when you engage the drive now do the wheels just lock up ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, when engaged or disengaged the wheels turn and I can push the machine without a problem. It does have the friction wheel set up.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ok have you checked the belts ? They are under the cover between the engine and the shoot where the snow comes out

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

You will have a drive and auger belt

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
belts are there and seem ok. Also let me clarify, the wheels turn freely with the blower not running. I don't know if that makes a difference or not
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

When you engage it does the friction wheel make good contact with the drive plate ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With traction drive engaged friction wheel engages clutch drive and I can't turn axle gear to friction wheel by hand. With traction drive disengaged gear to axle @ friction wheel moves by hand. Wheel axle does not turn when gear is turning. Wheel axle moves freely whether traction drive is engaged or not but gear on wheel axle does not.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Now when you engage the drive lever does the idler arm with the pulley put tension on the belt ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ok do that should turn the disc the friction wheel makes contact with right ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im not clear with your last response. However, the disc does makes contact with the friction wheel. When it does, I cannot turn the gear which engages the axle friction wheel axle.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Well when the belt is tightened ( drive lever engaged ) the plate should move right ? Then the friction plate being against it turns the wheels

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right. Whats happening with mine is when the drive lever is engaged the gear to the friction plate can't be moved which tells me its engaged but the wheels can be turned freely by hand, they're not be engaging. Let me take some pictures in the a.m. and send them to you, are you on tomorrow? I've got to leave to pick my wife up at work in 15 minutes. Thanks so much John.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Sure send me pictures tomorrow

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Just wondering if you had a chance to get those pictures