Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a Deere D140 that the hydrostatic drive just started

Customer Question

I have a John Deere D140 that the hydrostatic drive just started not pulling going uphill, it runs fine on level ground. I changed the drive belt, but it did not help. Should I try to change the transaxle oil before giving up and purchasing a new transaxle?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Have you confirmed, whether or not your new drive belt is tight enough, and is not slipping?

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Before purchasing a new transaxle, there are some things you should check first.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
  • Double check, to make sure your drive belt is tight enough.
  • Check the control arm on your transaxle, to make sure it is moving fully into forward and reverse positions.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Check the bypass lever on your transaxle, to make sure it is fully releasing, when you push your bypass/roll rod in. Sometimes if you have a build up of dirt and debris on your transaxle, it can restrict movement of your forward/reverse control arm, and your bypass lever.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Make sure your brakes are not partially sticking. If everything looks okay externally, then I would consider checking your oil level in your transaxle.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Your oil level should be within 1" from the top of your fill port. We can continue from here. Thanks!

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

If you have to add oil, you will need to purge your transaxle afterwards.