Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I recently acquired an Onan Gen-Set 4.0 BFA 1R/16004B. It

Customer Question

I recently acquired an Onan Gen-Set 4.0 BFA 1R/16004B. It starts up with starter switch on "ON" and runs just a few seconds and then shuts off after releasing the start button. How do I fix it?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

You either have a relay bad or the genset is not producing any voltage to make the relay work properly. Can you test the voltage output and see if you are getting anything when cranking the machine or prior to it stopping?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi John, This is all new to us. How do we test the voltage output?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

You can test for voltage at the control panel of the machine unless this is mounted in an rv then you will need to test for voltage on the output wiring from the genset to the rv wiring.