JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a Deere stx38 yellow deck. 3 days ago I ran my Deere

Customer Question

Hello and good day I have a John Deere stx38 yellow deck. 3 days ago I ran my John Deere for about minutes bagging leaves. Shut it off went in the house for about a half an hour came out turn the key and all it does is click click click. I tried jump starting it didn't work, left it on a battery charger didn't work, then put a new battery in it with a new spark plug in it nothing but clck click click. Only one time I did get the motor to turn over for maybe two seconds.I do have the seat safety switch deactivated for years now.. For example I have a La110 which always gives me trouble but never with this old STX38. What should I look for in the electronics? I do have a meter to check for connections if needed. Can you please tell me where to start?
Sincerely bewildered
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

HI, my name is***** will be assisting you.

It sounds like the starter solenoid is going bad. Sometimes it just clicks and others it will actually work. I would replace the starter solenoid and your problem should go away.

If you want to verify this you can check voltage at the starter post when you are actually trying to start the engine. If you are not getting 12 VDC to the starter post every time that you turn the ignition key to start then the solenoid needs to be replaced.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello again John,
Where exactly is the starter solenoid post?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or do you have a schematic on this?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Give me a moment I will see if I can get you a diagram.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

This machine can have one of two different solenoids depending on the serial number of the machine and the engine that is on it.

The first is a starter mounted solenoid. Solenoid is mounted right on the side of the starter and would have cable or wire coming from battery directly to it.

The second is a frame mounted solenoid. Solenoid is mounted to the frame of the machine and has a cable or wire coming from the battery to it and another cable from it to the starter.

There is no go diagram or schematic showing the location of the solenoid, the easiest way to find it is to follow the positive cable from the battery over to it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
John also , Please if I do have to replace the starter solenoid how do I do that step by step? Because I do not have the original owners manual.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok John I will check and be right back. Do you need the serial number of the motor and type?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

If it is frame mounted.

1. Unhook and remove battery.
  2. Remove battery cables from top post of solenoid, (make sure to notice wiring).
  3. Remove small wire(s) that are attached to base of solenoid.
  4. Remove bolts holding solenoid into frame.
  5. Reassembly in reverse order.

If it is starter mounted.

1. Unhook and remove battery.
  2. Remove battery cable from post on starter.
  3. Unplug small wire attached to solenoid.
  4. Remove starter assembly from engine by loosening two bolts that hold it onto side of engine block.
  5. Remove one large nut on bottom of solenoid that has wire coming to it from the starter.
  6. Remove two nuts on top of starter that holds the solenoid onto it.
  7. Slide the solenoid down and away from the starter in order to remove it and get it to unhook from the bendix.
  8. Install new solenoid by making sure that it engages into the bendix properly and pushing it back up into place.
  9. Reinstall everything in reverse order.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Serial number from the machine is really what I was looking for. Engine brand would be helpful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
John,
It is Kohler model CV12.5S serial no.(###) ###-#### ***** solenoid is side mounted to starter. Also on the other side below the breather where the fuel goes into the injection there is a small silver post with a red wire that leads around to the starter solenoid what is the name because the prom that is attached to the clip is broken.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

That sounds like the fuel solenoid on the bottom of the carburetor. If the prong is broken the engine will never start unless the fuel solenoid has been disabled. It sounds like you may have two completely separate issues here. Once you get the engine to where it is cranking consistently then you can turn focus on the fuel solenoid.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

I am including a diagram of the starter with solenoid. If it is in fact the solenoid you may be as well to replace the complete starter, I would price both and see which makes the best option.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
John,
Yes I can get a new starter & solenoid on ebay for $50.00. Thank you so much I will get back with you in the future if I have any more problems with this issue'.
Thanks and God bless
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.