Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Having what sounds like the same problem as someone else who

Customer Question

having what sounds like the same problem as someone else who wrote in. Craftsman LT1000 -- engaged free wheel to move the tractor; took it out of commission and mower will not go forward or backward. Have the back plate off. Belt is on but seems a bit loose -- don't think that is the real problem but would appreciate any ideas
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Check the freewheel lever at the transmission. When the lever is pulled , it has a spring that does the pulling, then when you push lever in, it should return to drive. I think you will find it is stuck in freewheel, take a crescent wrench and put on the lever, and see if it will move back to run position!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

With right rear wheel off, yo can see the lever on the tractor, I have one in my yard that had same problem.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Some WD40 on the lever, will help to free up the lever , so problem does not recur.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** did all of that before I received your response, and it still did not move. Finally pulled the deck off to look underneath and saw that the drive belt was not fully situated. moved it into place and all works now.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

!! Good job! I thought you had checked that before!